Thursday, September 30, 2010

Recipe: Awesome steak with sauce

I did this for our 1st Anniversary dinner, and received many kind comments on preparing that "romantic dinner".  Thing is, while the name and all sounds oh-so-difficult to prepare, I'd like to share how simple and easy the sauce is, to make. The Hubs actually loved the sauce, and thought that I spent alot of time making it. When I first saw the entire recipe for the filet mignon, I was afraid to try it out. But the end result probably took me about 15 minutes to comeplete, which, for a newbie home cook like me, should be an easy task for everyone.

Juicy steaks.. leave them in the packaging until you're ready to cook them, to keep them as "juicy" as possible.

When you prepare the filet mignon, you don't really need to season it, other than a good dash of black pepper. The bacon that surrounds the meat is a natural seasoning on its own. Some recipes call for cooking 3 mins on each side of the meat, but when I first cut into the meat its still bloody, and raw. I would say go for around 9 mins each side, if you like it medium like me.



For the sauce:

3tbsp of butter
2/3 cup of red wine or shao xing rice wine.
1tbsp of Dijon Mustard
1 onion


Grab a sauce pan, melt 1 tbsp of butter in it.
Add in the onions, or shallots. Let it sweat and caramelize. Around 1 minute.
Add wine, mustard, and let it simmer another 2 minutes, stirring it occasionally, to let it mix well.
Reduce heat to medium low.
Whisk in 2 more tbsp of butter.
Season if needed. I didn't, I just allowed the natural flavours to mix around, and spooned it over my steaks.

Dig in with a good glass of wine! ;) Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment