Friday, August 27, 2010

Recipe: Roasted Brussel Sprouts

This isn't a very positive month for me, and I hate blogging about negative stuff. Celebrate and share the good times, and forget the bad ones. I've been trying to focus my time on cooking, and hoping this will pass my time quickly. It seems I've been getting in giddy and the low blood pressure is back again. This week especially I've had a few giddy spells and feeling weaker than usual. I want to get back up to my exercise routine, but I don't want to push myself too hard.

Please bring on the positive stuff and let this month come to a good end.

As mentioned in the earlier posts, I wanted to try some new foods. I'm tired of sticking to purely asian dishes, and wanted a wider variety in my cooking, with different foods. Yesterday I experimented with brussel sprouts. I feel that vegetables are meant to be healthy and cooked with minimal ingredients. I usually do a stir fry, with oyster sauce and garlic for my leafy veggies.

This is my first time cooking with brussel sprouts and I wanted to cook it simple to taste the flavours of the leaves, so I can think of what to pair it up with next time... I googled for brussel sprouts recipes, and came across this one. Its really simple and easy, and the ingredients are staples in every kitchen. It turned out really good! Here goes:

Roasted Brussel Sprouts 

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts
  • 3 tablespoons good olive oil
  • 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Cut off the brown ends of the Brussels sprouts and pull off any yellow outer leaves. Mix them in a bowl with the olive oil, salt and pepper. Pour them on a sheet pan and roast for 35 to 40 minutes, until crisp on the outside and tender on the inside. Shake the pan from time to time to brown the sprouts evenly. Sprinkle with more kosher salt ( I like these salty like French fries), and serve immediately.


I thought these tasted like potato chips. Especially those leaves that fell off the sprouts, and after I removed them from the oven, they were so crunchy. I could eat these like chips all day. When you roast it the leaves get alittle crispy and when you bite it, it becomes like a chip. I'm thinking of cutting the sprouts into halves next time so hopefully it will turn out even more crunchy, and we can munch on it while watching movies. Talk about healthy living! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment