Saturday, August 21, 2010

Recipe: Easy Peasy Dijon Mustard Chicken that even 5 year olds can do!

This must be the easiest marinade I've ever mixed up for chicken! I bought a bottle of Dijon Mustard after watching Gordon Ramsay's Hell's Kitchen.  There was one episode where he questioned the Chef's what were the 5 mother sauces. In my head, I was thinking, Oyster sauce? That's like one of the sauces I use every meal! And maybe soy sauce? What about Hoisin Sauce? I was horribly wrong. They were naming things like tomato sauce, mayonnaise, dijon mustard, and so on. I've heard of mustard, but I can't comprehend how is it a mother sauce, so the next day, when we went out grocery shopping, I bought one home to taste and try cooking with it.

I searched for recipes but I realise I kept lacking some ingredients, like herbs and spices and stuff. I like to cook simple and easy and fast. Minimal effort, maximum taste. Of course cooking can never be "little" effort. I like flavours in my dishes, without having tons of things to complicate the palate. I swapped out the ingredients of recipes I found on online, and I think this one is a keeper! The husband loves it. =)

Recipe: Easy Peasy Dijon Mustard Chicken
Ingredients:
3 chicken drumstick
1 egg white
3 tablespoons of Dijon Mustard
a drizzle of honey


1. Mix the Dijon mustard with the egg white until smooth. Marinate chicken with mustard egg mix. Make sure marinate goes under the chicken skin as well, if you're leaving the skin on. Leave 2 hours to overnight.

2. Preheat oven to 395F. Place chicken on a tray. Reserving the marinate. I like to line my trays with aluminum foil, so its easy to clear up. Set timer to 10 mins.

3. Drizzle honey over the remaining marinate, whisk until smooth and set aside. Once timer is up, take chicken out of oven, and flip it over, and brush with honeyed marinate, put back into over. Set timer for 10 mins. Repeat this for 4 times, or until chicken is well cooked.

Your kitchen is gonna smell good, and you're gonna love biting into it. This will change your view of yucky mustards, if you hated the taste like I did before! As for now, I'm gonna keep finding new recipes for my new bottle of Dijon!

No comments:

Post a Comment